1. When I was 16, I felt like I knew everything. Now that I’m 31, I know that I definitely don’t.
2. Benjamin Franklin once said, ‘Some people die at 25 and aren’t buried until 75.’ As I get older, I see more and more people dying. Their bodies just haven’t realised it yet.
3. There’s nothing wrong with routine, or habit, but every now and again shake it up; take a different route, start the other way around, order a different drink. Just because.
4. Where possible, do things because you want to, not have to.
5. People change. It’s unreasonable to expect someone to be the same person for an entire lifetime.
6. Don’t make excuses.
7. A well-stocked freezer never disappoints. There will be nights when you’re cold and weary. Nights when your legs feel like lead. Nights when even thinking is too tiresome. These are the nights you defrost.
8. Different people will stir different things inside of you. That’s why your circle should be wide and varied.
9. We are guests of this world, this planet, and we don’t own shit; let’s all act accordingly.
10. People do the best that they can with what they have and what they know. But people can always do better.
11. Anything is possible. I mean Cadbury just put Vegemite in chocolate, so really.
12. Use everything; your best earrings, your favourite shoes, the expensive hand cream, the fancy gifts. Use ‘em all until they fray and run out and break.
13. Figure out what you’re not prepared to compromise on, ever, and don’t.
14. There’s very little black and white and a whole heap of grey.
15. If you have to choose between settling and running, run.
16. When a day ends and you’ve been scared and challenged and nervous, understand that’s not a bad day. That’s the very best type of day.
17. Live like you mean it.
18. When it all seems too hard, too big, too messy, wait until the sun sets and the sky goes midnight blue and the stars start twinkling. Then look up.
19. Love yourself first.
20. Someone recently shared some advice with me they’d once received, advice they live by: ‘just say yes’. So just say yes. To the things you want to do, to the things you don’t know how to do, to the things that scare you.
21. Throw yourself out of your comfort zone. Often.
22. Eat your greens.
23. You’ve just gotta listen to music every day.
24. There is enough of everything for everybody.
25. People will tell you to ‘be yourself’ but in order to do so, you’ve got to get really comfortable with who you genuinely are.
26. Don’t do anything you don’t want to do.
27. One day you’re 20 and then you blink and you’re 30. Some days might be long but the years are short so if you can do something with them – something meaningful and good – then you should. Don’t let a decade pass only to wonder what could have been.
28. You will likely leave this world in a similar way to how you entered it; naked, screaming and gasping for air. I don’t know why people make the part in between those two events so difficult and pointless, but if you can help it, try not to be one of them.
29. Everyone is on this quest to find the blank white space where everything is neat and perfect and sorted and solid. And that’s great. But if you can get lost in the sticky for a while – that gooey, uncomfortable place that everyone’s running from – then you should. Get wildly lost.
30. Things are only ever as complicated as you make them.
31. To feel is to live. If you don’t feel it, you’re not living.